You are insisting that the University of Texas at Austin denied your application for undergraduate admission because they were required to fulfill a federal diversity quota, which subjected you to bias. In blaming affirmative action for that denial letter, you are disregarding your responsibility as a college applicant. It is much easier to fault affirmative action than to hold up a mirror and see that you just weren’t qualified.
You told The New York Times that attending UT had been your dream since the second grade, so before submitting an application, you had to be aware of the admissions requirements. You knew that the institution automatically accepts the top 10 percentile from every high school in Texas and that the average SAT score is in the 1200s. It is common knowledge that UT is one of the most prestigious institutions in the United States, so it is challenging to be gain admission.
Before securing those letters of recommendation and forking over that expensive application fee, you knew that despite your legacy as the child of UT graduates, a spot on the coveted honor roll and a lifelong affair with the cello that admission wasn’t guaranteed.
In blaming affirmative action for that denial letter, you have failed to mention that you graduated number 82 in a class of 674 with a 3.59 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, which alienated you from the automatic admissions bunch. You conveniently omit that you scored an 1180 on your SAT, which is way below UT’s average, so that automatically diminished your chances of being accepted.
You suffer from selective amnesia, Abigail. You are aware that the University of Texas at Austin uses two indexes, the Academic and the Personal Achievement, to determine admission for students. You know that the Academic Index combines grades and standardized test scores while the Personal Achievement Index considers the submitted essays along with extracurricular activities and special circumstance (which can include race). You have been told that these two scores are combined and plotted on a graph and that everyone above a certain combined score is admitted while everyone below is rejected.
This leads to one conclusion: Affirmative action is not the issue. Now, before you attempt to bash me as another black woman benefiting from federal mandates, let me clarify: I scored a 1680 on the SAT and I was accepted into every undergraduate institution that I applied to. I graduated from Bennett College Summa Cum Laude and valedictorian with a 4.0 grade point average and I’m on a full ride merit-based fellowship for graduate school.
From academic to academic, it’s time to wake up and smell the ashes Abigail. You were not accepted into the University of Texas at Austin because you’re white. You were not qualified. But of course because African-Americans students were chosen for admittance and you were not, it must be reverse racism in the form of affirmative action.
I’ve seen this time and time again. It is owed to the prevalence of white privilege, which leads to unwarranted entitlement. You do know what white privilege is, right?
- madmancomin2u likes this
- somewhereinuverworld reblogged this from confusedtree
- smdy reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- dorkyboo likes this
- ilikeititspretty likes this
- dimensiondancing reblogged this from tgstonebutch
- tgstonebutch reblogged this from shwetanarayan
- elizamariae likes this
- nothingfalseabouthope reblogged this from racialicious
- ngoziu likes this
- celemie likes this
- isar-anon likes this
- underwaterfraulein reblogged this from firebolting
- jake3dproductions reblogged this from ngoziu
- jake3dproductions likes this
- doyougnomi likes this
- monumentsinflames reblogged this from racialicious
- moonlit-soliloquy reblogged this from their-child
- culmination-therapy reblogged this from ngoziu
- melancholy-pet likes this
- hannibal-lecters-chef reblogged this from faineemae
- thewasabipea reblogged this from afragmentarygirl
- rbkeith reblogged this from gwydionmisha
- spinsters-and-bluestockings likes this
- gwydionmisha reblogged this from browngurlwfro
- quidships likes this
- calidork reblogged this from rairii
- gwydionmisha likes this
- aiffe likes this
- theyalwayswantyoutoproveit reblogged this from crossedwires
- captainredfieldswifey likes this
- littlewhinging reblogged this from calidork
- cjacksi likes this
- queerkhmer likes this
- eazywriter likes this
- infamousnfamous reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- mudblood-demon reblogged this from celine7hp
- celine7hp reblogged this from brandos
- karmaofmytits reblogged this from karnythia
- soul-ution likes this
- heosic24 reblogged this from karnythia
- penguinfeet reblogged this from magicpuppies
- magicpuppies reblogged this from confusedtree
- magicpuppies likes this
- kuakistar likes this
- delamona reblogged this from themindislimitless
- vitalityattack reblogged this from bravenewderek
- bravenewderek likes this
- bravenewderek reblogged this from calidork